Kinetic Wave Gaming.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Transition

3 posters

Go down

The Transition Empty The Transition

Post by Captain Snyder Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 pm

I'm sick and tired of being in open beta.

I've fixed the server and it's now joinable, however, i'm going to keep the server passworded until it's 100% complete for YOUR enjoyment.

When will the server be unlocked? I honestly can't say, but it'll be up within a month. I'll make a release date as it becomes more clear.

What will be new? It'd be easier to list what's not going to be new, but...

1. No more Fallout SWEPs, moving to TFA Weapon Base. Yes, you heard correctly. Base. I will be coding entirely new, never before seen weapons!
  2. New, never before seen laser weapons.
  3. Fixed lore, meaning that it wont be taught from player to player.
  4. A working scavenging system that's sastifying to both players and admins that wont be giving people AK-47s each day
  5. A fully functioning crafting system in-game, rather than a forum-based one(planned for)
  6. A non intrusive hunger system based on a 12/24 real life hours. It will not affect hamper your ability to roleplay, rather it'll add small visuals that wont be invasive on roleplay.
  7. A new system for player applications.
  8. And more!

Now, I don't like mentioning other communities, but I need to make a quick comparison here to show why I need to re-work applications.

On MeatySchlong, they have roughly 20 players connected on their server. Almost constantly.

On our server, we don't have more than 12 anymore. Now, here's why applications need to be revamped.

Our Server has pretty strict applications.

Their server isn't strict about applications at all.

We need to improve our application system to draw new players, so, I'll do some more research into the topic and see what I can improve.

I'll be updating this thread as it's necessary. Going back to work.
Captain Snyder
Captain Snyder
Overseer
Overseer

Back to top Go down

The Transition Empty Re: The Transition

Post by Captain Snyder Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Post any and all questions in this thread!
Captain Snyder
Captain Snyder
Overseer
Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Ezrik Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:10 pm

Re-vamping the application system? Snyder, I think you're going on too much of a whim here. You can't just say that "Wanna know why this is wrong? Because these people that are better do it differently." Now, application strictness should depend on what's being applied for. If someone is applying for a harmless family heirloom necklace or some shit, I wouldn't be too strict about it. Hell, I doubt you'd even have to apply for something like that, but you get my point. Items/skills that are mainly only for, or can only be used for character development shouldn't be looked upon that strictly. Knowledge on crafting lazer weapons, however, should be looked upon rather strictly. You get my point, I think.

The problem with the population is either that you didn't have that large of a following to begin with, or that the name of the server isn't being spread enough. People should be advertising the server if you want a constant twenty people on it. Although, I wouldn't do that until the server is confirmed out of beta. You don't want the server getting a bad rep because something wasn't coded yet, or something wasn't accounted for. So I'd just do coding and testing and shit until the official server release is out. I wouldn't re-open it in any beta/gamma shit.

Secondly, the hunger system has absolutely no use if people are just going to ignore it. We're not making a survival game, we're making an RP server. The way I see it, we shouldn't have things like this intruding on our RP server, when most of the time people are just going to run around without RP to find food and eat it, just to get the wavy effect off the screen, because that shit is annoying.

Thirdly, by entirely new weapons, do you mean finding models that can be used as Fallout-esque weapons, coding them in, coding some ammo in for them, and coding the weapons from complete scratch? If that's the case, I wish you luck, and I hope it turns out well.

I don't think the lore needs fixing. You should just write a short narrative about the area, what's going on currently, etc. etc., post it on the forums, and update it as needed. That's really all the fixing you need.

Scavenging system. Ehh, that can get iffy. If possible, add a cooldown of some sort, so people don't minge-scavenge all over the place until they get a gun, or so that they can have a shit-ton of food and crafting items.

Snyder, for the love of all that is holy, please, get the crafting system right if you're going to add a crafting system as opposed to a Forums RP system (although, you can just do it on-server and paste logs onto forums if we were to do that. Pretty easy, huh?). I think I see how this can be done right. You can make a bunch of scavenge-able items necessary to craft a certain item, and need the knowledge ICly (of course, this will have to be checked. It's why I don't like systems like this), because not everyone can craft god damned pistols from scratch. In fact, that's pretty impossible.

More over, this is why I don't like crafting systems: They can be minged the fuck out of. The reason I prefer RP to a crafting system is that, if you are required to post it somewhere for approval, or run it through an admin, then there is /very little/ way that it'll get by as a BSed, half-written piece of shit that some unknowing four year old slapped together because they tried to make power armor out of ten bullets and a broken crowbar. You can also verify that said person crafting the item has the knowledge ICly (while this can be BSed, competent admins can detect BS like this. If it's knowledge that wasn't applied for, and wasn't gotten ICly through RP, that's a quick tell that whatever is being crafted can't be crafted in the first place), and all-around, it just makes for some amazing role-play. I don't expect for the system to be removed because I said this, but I /do/ expect at least for these cons to be considered, because OOC features like this on an IC focused server can go to shit /really/ fast.

New laser weapons? Cool. That kind of could've been included into the first weapons post, though. I guess you could take some of the more Sci-fi looking Star Wars weapons and make them into laser weapons. Though, that would look /really/ bad, especially to a Star Wars freak, like me.

This is all I have to say. I hope it goes well.

Lord Ezrik
Vault Security
Vault Security

Back to top Go down

Post by BB52000 (Bryan) Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:20 pm

Back to Vault RP or is it closed for EVERYONE?
BB52000 (Bryan)
BB52000 (Bryan)
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Snyder Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:03 am

Since I'm gonna quote people on the forums, I'm gonna go ahead and type in the actual quote itself. If it's bolded like this it's written by me.

Response to Ezrik:

Response to Bryan:
Captain Snyder
Captain Snyder
Overseer
Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Ezrik Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:03 am

"I didn't say they were better, rather then they had players."

You sure were implying it. You sure were implying that you wanted to have as many players as they did, so if it wasn't that they were better, it was that you were jealous of their player base. The point stands.

"Nor do I intend to."

Then what /do/ you intend to do about the applications? You just compared the two application processes, and you were clearly making the connections that with stricter application processes comes a more interested player base (this is completely bogus, by the way), so you're negating your own point.

I will not advertise my server at all, however, I will make something of the sort on the forums, and send it to people who might be interested, as should you. However, refrain from advertising to people that are in another community, especially fallout communities. I want to refrain from communities believing I'm stealing players. I don't want to get DDoS'd or hacked for it.

It's kind of hard to get a stronger player base if you don't ask people to /kindly/ recommend the server to other Serious RPers I didn't mean to tell people to go "HEY THIS IS A GREAT SERVER THEY HAVE COOL SHIT GO ON THERE". I meant just to /suggest/ that people /suggest/ the server to other people. That misunderstanding may have been my fault.

And I completely understand this. That would be something I would call intrusive. Now, I plan to make it so that the hunger system should not interfere with roleplay what so ever. It will be based on a 12 or 24 real life hour system. Now, food wont be hard to get, either. You can play for months on end without scavenging, because..

This didn't answer my complaint at all. All you did was repeat what you've already said. I'm trying my hardest not to make this a flame post, mind you, but if you're going to implement a hunger system that has little to no effect on people, then there is absolutely no point in adding it in the first place. People aren't going to RP this, I can tell you this for a fact, and it's useless even if people /do/ RP it, mostly because people don't go hungry every twelve hours in real life. It'd be /possible/ that /some/ people would RP it if it were realistic, but that's a huge /if/. I highly suggest that you just completely scrap the idea.

1. There are passive roleplaying jobs you can do, such as farming, or hunting creatures(Just ask Noah or Me if you plan to go hunting anytime soon!)

2. You can easily trade things with the money you earn from jobs, yes, I plan to make it so that making/getting jobs should be easy. Through passive, or maybe combat roleplay, the job you want should be able to find a job through talking to other people. I might even give out certain character to help boost the amount of jobs.

I don't find much wrong with this. Though, if you add a hunger system, no one is going to do the jobs for the food. They'll completely ignore the hunger, and ask for caps, because caps is money, and money gets you guns. Guns, or useless food? I'd take the guns.

Yes, but I've seen this before, players generally wish they didn't have to bug the admin for whatever they're making. If we do an in-game crafting system rather than forum-based, it should reduce workload for the administration team. Though it might not be much, atleast it helps players an admins alike.

While you justified the crafting system, I will say that I've never seen this before. I'm currently an admin on two servers, and I was a server director before. /Never/ have I ever seen an instant that this has occurred. Sure, admins have gotten annoyed, but it's kind of our job to do things like this. I guess it does take a load off of our shoulders. I just felt like it should be mentioned.

The crafting system and items will come along hand in hand. Lets use metal armor, for example... You don't just directly create the leather armor with ten scrap metal an two leather strips, you would have to first create the helmet, then the arms, then the leggings, then the boots, then the chestplate, all seperately, then combine all of them to make the final item. The work around for this would be Pac3, which, I might be removing, to cut down on asspull. Hopefully I can make some models that don't look awful, no, I wont be making any heads because I'm awful at that.

Snyder, you silly goose, it makes it /easier/ to asspull without PAC. The thing is, if you're one of those people that hide all of your BSness behind a huge description (I know these people exist, I was one before), then you'd know that it's as easy as making a huge, over-descriptive description, and somewhere add "10mm Pistol" and bam. Asspull. It'll probably not be noticed for a long time, since not many people but the good admins and good players read long descriptions like that (I'll be honest, I don't always read them). If you have PAC, though, people like that usually know enough about PAC that they want to make themselves look edgy enough that they'll add the pistol, and it'll get caught earlier on. Mostly because most people like this don't recognize what they're doing as asspull. Trust me. I've been this person.

And, on the subject of the armor pieces, yes, you should do the RP, and adding each piece of armor as a wearable piece of armor is going to be /extremely/ difficult, if you want to change the models, anyway. You can do that, and just expect people to do it in PAC, maybe that'll work, but not everyone is that good at PAC (you don't need to be that good, but still).

And this brings up another issue. You're hitting the issue of taking uniqueness and... The art of makeshift out of RP. See, if you make the OOC item, then it's metal armor, not much to say. But ICly, if you crafted it ICly, no crafting system, then you have to worry about what metal it was made out of, what you used to hold it together, etc. To get around this? I would make different kinds of metal, each one that spawns less and less likely, depending on how good they are, and the type of metal effects the quality. This won't eliminate the issue, but it reduces it a few-fold.

Anything I didn't include here was justified by Snyder, and isn't an issue anymore.

Lord Ezrik
Vault Security
Vault Security

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum