Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Dog on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:40 pm

Nasca wrote:You don't need that gear.
Implying you need gear to make your character 'work' is fucking ludicrous.
Get over yourself. The server just began and you don't need script items like that to put you so far above everyone else that you can play god.

If you're a true and legitimate roleplayer, all you should want is your character, not the script items they possess.

If you can't accept having the character but not the gear, you quite frankly don't belong on this server.
That's a bit of an extreme accusation— I mean, you're assuming that I believe I need gear to make a character work, and that is insane...  Yet you're assuming this.
You're not going to guilt me into succumbing to demands that you haven't even made until now because of points that you haven't even made, and getting angry at me for things I haven't even said doesn't really drive your point home.
I'll respond with the same message I gave to Herosloth: You seem angry.  Calm down and coherently reply if you choose to do so.
(Also, 'script items'?  What? Are we becoming literal with the term 'role player' and turning everything into theater-related terminology?)
avatar
Dog
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 359
Join date : 2013-06-15
Location : Gaiar Alata

http://www._.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Nasca on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:13 pm

Dog wrote:
Nasca wrote:You don't need that gear.
Implying you need gear to make your character 'work' is fucking ludicrous.
Get over yourself. The server just began and you don't need script items like that to put you so far above everyone else that you can play god.

If you're a true and legitimate roleplayer, all you should want is your character, not the script items they possess.

If you can't accept having the character but not the gear, you quite frankly don't belong on this server.
That's a bit of an extreme accusation— I mean, you're assuming that I believe I need gear to make a character work, and that is insane...  Yet you're assuming this.
You're not going to guilt me into succumbing to demands that you haven't even made until now because of points that you haven't even made, and getting angry at me for things I haven't even said doesn't really drive your point home.
I'll respond with the same message I gave to Herosloth: You seem angry.  Calm down and coherently reply if you choose to do so.
(Also, 'script items'?  What?  Are we becoming literal with the term 'role player' and turning everything into theater-related terminology?)

You don't need the items.
Full stop.

The server just opened up, and nobody has any real equipment to speak of, let alone weapons of that caliber.

I see two options.
1. Take your character, maybe even keep some of the gear; but have it rendered broken and ineffective. Put effort into RPing to restore them back to 100 percent.
2. Wait for the server to be further along before recieving the character and their full utilities.

I'm not doubting that you can roleplay the character-- but your ability to roleplay shouldn't be in question. What should be in question is what you want, what effect it'll have on the server, and why you should reasonably be allowed to have those things when nobody else can.

The reason of "well I had it once" isn't good enough.
avatar
Nasca
Vault Rebel
Vault Rebel

Posts : 16
Join date : 2013-07-01
Location : 'Murica

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Dog on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Nasca wrote:
Dog wrote:
Snip:

Nasca wrote:You don't need that gear.
Implying you need gear to make your character 'work' is fucking ludicrous.
Get over yourself. The server just began and you don't need script items like that to put you so far above everyone else that you can play god.

If you're a true and legitimate roleplayer, all you should want is your character, not the script items they possess.

If you can't accept having the character but not the gear, you quite frankly don't belong on this server.
That's a bit of an extreme accusation— I mean, you're assuming that I believe I need gear to make a character work, and that is insane...  Yet you're assuming this.
You're not going to guilt me into succumbing to demands that you haven't even made until now because of points that you haven't even made, and getting angry at me for things I haven't even said doesn't really drive your point home.
I'll respond with the same message I gave to Herosloth: You seem angry.  Calm down and coherently reply if you choose to do so.
(Also, 'script items'?  What?  Are we becoming literal with the term 'role player' and turning everything into theater-related terminology?)

You don't need the items.
Full stop.

The server just opened up, and nobody has any real equipment to speak of, let alone weapons of that caliber.

I see two options.
1. Take your character, maybe even keep some of the gear; but have it rendered broken and ineffective. Put effort into RPing to restore them back to 100 percent.
2. Wait for the server to be further along before recieving the character and their full utilities.

I'm not doubting that you can roleplay the character-- but your ability to roleplay shouldn't be in question. What should be in question is what you want, what effect it'll have on the server, and why you should reasonably be allowed to have those things when nobody else can.

The reason of "well I had it once" isn't good enough.
My ability to roleplay isn't in question...?  What?
Everyone can apply for this stuff.  EVERYONE.  Even you.
The reason of "well why should he have it if I can't have it because I don't want to apply for it" isn't a good enough reason to get me to make any significant changes.

Oh, and if you want to take it a step further: I'm essentially following the route of that first 'option' you suggested of some of the gear rendered broken and ineffective, as the guns are currently unusable.  If authorized, I'm going to be lugging around a big wooden club and a small metal club until I can get ammunition, which is going to be nigh on impossible unless there's some miracle and we get a crate drop from the NCR that's up for grabs.

It sounds like you mean well and don't want some overpowered s00per-str0nk character with 500 guns and 50 kevlar vests on the server among dirt-farmers with nothing but shovels, but take a step back and think about what you're actually looking at.
avatar
Dog
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 359
Join date : 2013-06-15
Location : Gaiar Alata

http://www._.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Nasca on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Dog wrote:
The reason of "well why should he have it if I can't have it because I don't want to apply for it" isn't a good enough reason to get me to make any significant changes.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The reason I brought your equipment up is because if you had simply written an application for the CHARACTER rather than the character AND the equipment, then I'dve been able to say "Yeah, alright. This seems reasonable."

Bringing all the gear too is NOT reasonable. To say that these application sections exist makes it okay for you to get these things isn't an actual valid reason.

With your logic I could apply to be fucking Christ reincarnate and if I worded it properly it could be accepted and would be okay.

Is it possible? Sure.
Is it probable or reasonable? No.
avatar
Nasca
Vault Rebel
Vault Rebel

Posts : 16
Join date : 2013-07-01
Location : 'Murica

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Dog on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Nasca wrote:
Dog wrote:
The reason of "well why should he have it if I can't have it because I don't want to apply for it" isn't a good enough reason to get me to make any significant changes.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The reason I brought your equipment up is because if you had simply written an application for the CHARACTER rather than the character AND the equipment, then I'dve been able to say "Yeah, alright. This seems reasonable."

Bringing all the gear too is NOT reasonable. To say that these application sections exist makes it okay for you to get these things isn't an actual valid reason.

With your logic I could apply to be fucking Christ reincarnate and if I worded it properly it could be accepted and would be okay.

Is it possible? Sure.
Is it probable or reasonable? No.

By my logic, you can apply for things within reason and, if worded properly, if properly backed, and if done by a member who is known for being able to handle what they apply for, as well as being able to handle it in actuality.  Twisting someone's words to conform to your own regime isn't very polite.
I applied for a simple character with gear to fit him.  You're responding as if items of this magnitude— a rifle with no ammunition, a pistol with no ammunition, a backpack, a knife, and outfitting that lets me take a few shots from a well-made Zip Gun— are never to be asked for, and that's not fine.  Saying that you shouldn't apply for such things in an application section that is MADE to house applications for such things (after all, there are people out there that didn't just strike out one morning with nothing but the clothes on their backs, and there are some characters that people want to play as that they want to have a certain item that has meaning to them) is just plain insanity, and your taking this all to the extremes to prove a point doesn't solidify your stance, but rather corrodes your image and your own perception, it seems.

Can I deal with not having the equipment?  
Yes.
Am I going to drop everything because you don't agree with it on the basis of "I don't like you having items, even with their drawbacks that I myself suggested JUST BECAUSE."?
No.
avatar
Dog
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 359
Join date : 2013-06-15
Location : Gaiar Alata

http://www._.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by The Gunrunner on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:44 pm

- support

You beat a Yau Guai with your bare hands, you beat six fire geckos with a knife, you beat a securitron with a knife, you beat a feral ghoul with your bare hands, you beat six gecko hunters with your bare hands, and you're immune to a radscorpion sting. For fuck's sake, do you have any concept of restraint? And worst of all, there's nothing else there. Your character has no interesting backstory, but instead just a long list of bullshit accomplishments. Your dick stroking is wonderful, dog. Really. However, I'd like to be given a reason to CARE ABOUT your character.
Before that, it was just about how your family died and the saviour started training you (haven't heard that one before) and the rest I honestly didn't read. "You can't judge my app without reading the whole thing." Yes, I can, because I read the majority and found it to be highly lacking. On top of the ridiculousness that (hopefully) won't pass, your spelling and grammar aren't even adequate. An entire paragraph was left as a run-on sentence, for example.
But, hey! You think I'm unfair? Then respond to my issues without using a "Well, it's a desert ranger" excuse. Why? Because then the desert rangers just look like shit. As least space marines are mutants and start as (essentially) roided fodder.
avatar
The Gunrunner
Vault Rebel
Vault Rebel

Posts : 17
Join date : 2015-06-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Dog on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:55 pm

The Gunrunner wrote:- support

You beat a Yau Guai with your bare hands, you beat six fire geckos with a knife, you beat a securitron with a knife, you beat a feral ghoul with your bare hands, you beat six gecko hunters with your bare hands, and you're immune to a radscorpion sting. For fuck's sake, do you have any concept of restraint? And worst of all, there's nothing else there. Your character has no interesting backstory, but instead just a long list of bullshit accomplishments. Your dick stroking is wonderful, dog. Really. However, I'd like to be given a reason to CARE ABOUT your character.
Before that, it was just about how your family died and the saviour started training you (haven't heard that one before) and the rest I honestly didn't read. "You can't judge my app without reading the whole thing." Yes, I can, because I read the majority and found it to be highly lacking. On top of the ridiculousness that (hopefully) won't pass, your spelling and grammar aren't even adequate. An entire paragraph was left as a run-on sentence, for example.
But, hey! You think I'm unfair? Then respond to my issues without using a "Well, it's a desert ranger" excuse. Why? Because then the desert rangers just look like shit. As least space marines are mutants and start as (essentially) roided fodder.
Immune to a radscorpion sting? When did that become a thing?
Yeah, I posted all of the training in full detail. Because that consumed a majority of the character in question's life. I'm not going to just breeze right by it like some other people who applied for Desert Rangers have. I'd prefer if you read it before posting, but it's fine if you don't, it just gives your post less credibility as a standing point for future reference.
The spelling and grammar issues, as well as the run-on sentence paragraph, is because I was translating steam messages to paragraph format. I actually put the time in to roleplay what would realistically happen in every single situation. Heck, I'll take half of the credit for those grammar and spelling issues even though they weren't my own because I can deal with someone thinking less of me or any character I produce based on the accuracy of key-presses.
I also have yet to pull some vague "But muh desert ranger is a desert ranger!" response. That's just lazy, man. Call me out on it if I do/did.
And I have no clue for the space marine thing. I didn't care much for Warhammer 40k aside from some of its tabletops, sorry.
avatar
Dog
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 359
Join date : 2013-06-15
Location : Gaiar Alata

http://www._.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Nasca on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:59 pm

The sheer lack of compromise just makes me giggle.
avatar
Nasca
Vault Rebel
Vault Rebel

Posts : 16
Join date : 2013-07-01
Location : 'Murica

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Dog on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:00 pm

There was a comprimise, but not a single person saw it. It's sad. ;-;
avatar
Dog
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 359
Join date : 2013-06-15
Location : Gaiar Alata

http://www._.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Noahleahy on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm going to set the boot down here.

Alot of you replying to the app are horribly rude, you curse, you throw insults and you're just overall unpleasant.

Dusk has been enduring this for days on end and he's been politely replying to your problems with his app with no curses, no insults, and obviously no anger to any of you.

Please return the favor.

Noahleahy
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Posts : 9
Join date : 2014-12-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by The Gunrunner on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:45 pm

Immune to a radscorpion sting? When did that become a thing?
Please don't tell me he editted it before posting, please don't tell me he editted it before posting, please don- HEY, he didn't. Whew.
"Survival training would also include small injections of various poisons to make his body more resistant to them, so that a radscorpion sting can be shrugged off. "
Unless that "would" means "This is what should have happened, but it didn't," then an immunity is exactly what that points to.

Yeah, I posted all of the training in full detail. Because that consumed a majority of the character in question's life. I'm not going to just breeze right by it like some other people who applied for Desert Rangers have.
Interesting idea, but it was still absurd. Even without that, however, you still had a backstory that was just "Me badass." That shouldn't be enough to be granted a desert ranger.

I'd prefer if you read it before posting, but it's fine if you don't, it just gives your post less credibility as a standing point for future reference.
PFFF. Okay, buddy.
Here, I'll explain why I didn't read it: I was bored.
There. I have less credibility? I've highlighted one of the many problems. I'm not interested in reading something when 80% of it is bad. Unless that remaining 20 gives me whiplash with how great it is, there was no saving this.
And no, you do not need to rely on entertaining me. However, this should be where you show how much you excel over the others. This should be a show of "See? I can be trusted with this character, because I am a competent writer and roleplayer." That wasn't shown.

The spelling and grammar issues, as well as the run-on sentence paragraph, is because I was translating steam messages to paragraph format.
Okay, so you have poor spelling and grammar when texting but you still thought it was a good idea to post that for your application? Dude, fix your shit.

I actually put the time in to roleplay what would realistically happen in every single situation.
So you're a corpse? You're using "realistically" assertively. It is not realistic for you to do all of this.

Heck, I'll take half of the credit for those grammar and spelling issues even though they weren't my own because I can deal with someone thinking less of me or any character I produce based on the accuracy of key-presses.
Three issues with this:
1. "...even though they weren't my own because I can deal with someone thinking less of me..." What?
2. "Heck, I'll take half of the credit..." Take full credit.
EDIT: Read this part wrong. I get it now.
3. "blah blah blah grammar and spelling don't matter blah blah it's more than key presses."
First off, say that to an employer once you hand your job application in. "Oh, and sir? Don't think less of me just based on a few key presses."
Now I'll explain why it's important: This roleplay is done only through writing. There is nothing else.
More is needed than just this minimum, obviously. However, you need to have at least this. You are not making a few mistakes here and there, they are littered around. You are failing the MINIMUM. A MINIMUM, and you expect a desert ranger.

I also have yet to pull some vague "But muh desert ranger is a desert ranger!" response. That's just lazy, man. Call me out on it if I do/did.
I was expecting it. That was to avoid a response to what is a shitty excuse.

I'm still waiting for you to justify the bullshittery, by the way. "I wanted to explain his training" I mean what that training was. I'd also like for you to explain to me why I should care about this character at all. There's an old quote I remember from another rp site: "Why should I care about what happens to this character?" Answer that for me.

Response to Noahleahy
Spoiler:

I'm going to set the boot down here.

Alot of you replying to the app are horribly rude, you curse, you throw insults and you're just overall unpleasant.

Dusk has been enduring this for days on end and he's been politely replying to your problems with his app with no curses, no insults, and obviously no anger to any of you.

Please return the favor.

The cursing is for emphasis, the rudeness is brutal honesty mixed with (occasionally) humour, and the insults have not been ad hominem attacks.
avatar
The Gunrunner
Vault Rebel
Vault Rebel

Posts : 17
Join date : 2015-06-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by FlameCow on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:35 am

-support

The character really does seem too strong, and I've seen the damage an overpowered character can do to a role play server. Sorry, it's obvious to me that you've put a lot of effort in the application. I just don't agree with the plausibility of some of the events in your character's backstory and it leads me to believe that he could be too strong.


Last edited by FlameCow on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 am; edited 3 times in total
avatar
FlameCow
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 478
Join date : 2013-07-12
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Painful History on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:19 am

Seriously, you're being stupid by bashing on this application for the reasons you're posting and you're being even worse for cursing, insulting, being rude and overall degrading the effectiveness of your speeches. No one will take you seriously when you're insulting the party you're accusing, even if indirectly or passive-aggressively. "I've seen the harm and overpowered character can do to a server." Yes, so have I but guess who had those over powered characters that ruin servers? Admins, not players. Normally, players actually RP these "OP Characters" a lot less OP than one might think, hell, I've seen several people even taking shit they shouldn't have realistically with that character just because they weren't sure and wanted to be on the safe side.

If you want to insult someone's ability to roleplay a chararcter, get hard facts instead of a subjective view on what's OP and what will kill a server. Dusk is a great roleplayer and I've seen it myself: several times over. If you don't believe it, then take your time to roleplay with him and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Now, onto other things...
"Why should I care about what happens to this character?" Seriously, why are you asking that question? Any answer given to you won't suffice simply because you do not care already. You have yet to RP with the character, you have yet to see the actual character in action, how can you care about something you don't understand or know? All you see in this application is objective, a backstory, items and rp examples, how can you "care" about a character through an application? By making an emotional backstory? Not every person in this world, or Fallout, has a tragic backstory behind them.

When a character's story is comprised mostly of training, what do you want them to type? How they saw rainbows and rain while they were being horrendously mauled by a Yao Guai? Or perhaps you want to lean the character's masturbating habits when he was on break. Seriously, what do you want? Do you want eye candy? Do you want flourishes? do you want a novel on how the character fell in love with the ghoul he killed?

Also, just because the STING can be shrugged off initially, it doesn't mean that the VENOM takes no effect. I hope you know that, even if you're stung by venom several times over, sooner or later, after the sting you'll still feel the effects.

Firstly, Yao Guai's are just bears, people can beat bears with hands, doesn't mean it's smart or safe, but they can. Ghouls are ridiculously easy to kill and Securitrons it's a matter of: Stab their screen, watch them die.

"Then Desert Rangers look like shit." Yeah, good job, generalize a whole group and the people that roleplay as them or have a character like that. I've seen plenty of shit Rangers in my time, I have, but I've seen plenty of excellent ones as well.
avatar
Painful History
Vault Outcast
Vault Outcast

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by The Solitaire on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:43 am

Darn it I just love Ranger characters, easily my favorites to RP. So rest assured Dog I will be fair minded.

My first point of criticism, whilst I appreciate your position, is your lack of character traits and flaws. Whilst you might /pm them to Snyder it does go without saying that the rest of the forum users whom are casting their votes have aright to see them too. That's just a note. When someone creates a character with grievances it makes them more rounded and believable after all.

My first question is: Why wasn't Oscar brought into the NCR following the treaty the NCR made with the Rangers of Nevada before the first battle of Hoover dam? Technically if he didn't follow suit he would be going against NCR law and would likely be seen as an outlaw.

My second question is: can you drop the brush gun? I mean the revolver I can understand and with ammunition being as rare as the guns themselves in the server at this point, I don't see the harm in granting you it, but the brush gun is a bit much.

My third question is: How will your character interact with the server's population? What is your intended approach to most situations? Will you be a community man or a shadowy edge master who lives outside of town?

My fourth question is: Do you understand that the Ranger combat armor provides absolutely no protection to the entirety of the legs and upper arms? People often see this outfit as OP but realistically you can blow the legs of a ranger to ribbons with successive 10mm rounds.

This is where my Dusk orientated questions end and my observations begin.

Observation 1: The server is P2L if Dusk is shot at he must P2L being hit by the bullets, especially at close range. There is no ninjaing here.

Observation 2: I refer those complaining about the armour to my statement I my fourth question.

Observation 3: The petty tone of some of the responses on here are just plain petty and passive aggressive. Cut it out.

My opinion remains neutral until Dog responds with tangible answers to my questions. Peace.
avatar
The Solitaire
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 306
Join date : 2013-06-10
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Painful History on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:03 am

Edit: Actually, retract that statement. Upper arms aren't protected but shoulders definately are as Riot Armor is 3rd Generation Combat Armor.
avatar
Painful History
Vault Outcast
Vault Outcast

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by mLister on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:10 am

Dog.

Why does the ranger in question even consider going to the location the roleplay takes place in? It's a dump full of people just trying to get by, unremarkable and somewhat degenerate in the current state of things.

Why is the so called badass ranger not doing something else where his qualities would be of more use than in some nowhere place?

Why did he not return to his hometown and do something his father tried and improve on it?

Why don't you just wait for the server to get out of the beta and let people get some sort of self defense going. You never know when some armed ranger guy could go postal and slaughter anyone he sees.

What if someone throws a stick of dynamite in your bed during your sleep and loots what's left of you to terrorize the whole server with the firearms the character posessed?

The advantages of this character application are -Wayyy- one sided, not to mention the fact of asking for gear, and not just one item or two, but half a dozen. This thread having three pages worth of replies is already a sign that people are not going to like this character passing the application.

mLister
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Dog on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:27 am

Massive snip:

NoahLeahy wrote:I'm going to set the boot down here.

Alot of you replying to the app are horribly rude, you curse, you throw insults and you're just overall unpleasant.

Dusk has been enduring this for days on end and he's been politely replying to your problems with his app with no curses, no insults, and obviously no anger to any of you.

Please return the favor.
The Gunrunner wrote:
Immune to a radscorpion sting? When did that become a thing?
Please don't tell me he editted it before posting, please don't tell me he editted it before posting, please don- HEY, he didn't. Whew.
"Survival training would also include small injections of various poisons to make his body more resistant to them, so that a radscorpion sting can be shrugged off. "
Unless that "would" means "This is what should have happened, but it didn't," then an immunity is exactly what that points to.

Yeah, I posted all of the training in full detail. Because that consumed a majority of the character in question's life. I'm not going to just breeze right by it like some other people who applied for Desert Rangers have.
Interesting idea, but it was still absurd. Even without that, however, you still had a backstory that was just "Me badass." That shouldn't be enough to be granted a desert ranger.

I'd prefer if you read it before posting, but it's fine if you don't, it just gives your post less credibility as a standing point for future reference.
PFFF. Okay, buddy.
Here, I'll explain why I didn't read it: I was bored.
There. I have less credibility? I've highlighted one of the many problems. I'm not interested in reading something when 80% of it is bad. Unless that remaining 20 gives me whiplash with how great it is, there was no saving this.
And no, you do not need to rely on entertaining me. However, this should be where you show how much you excel over the others. This should be a show of "See? I can be trusted with this character, because I am a competent writer and roleplayer." That wasn't shown.

The spelling and grammar issues, as well as the run-on sentence paragraph, is because I was translating steam messages to paragraph format.
Okay, so you have poor spelling and grammar when texting but you still thought it was a good idea to post that for your application? Dude, fix your shit.

I actually put the time in to roleplay what would realistically happen in every single situation.
So you're a corpse? You're using "realistically" assertively. It is not realistic for you to do all of this.

Heck, I'll take half of the credit for those grammar and spelling issues even though they weren't my own because I can deal with someone thinking less of me or any character I produce based on the accuracy of key-presses.
Three issues with this:
1. "...even though they weren't my own because I can deal with someone thinking less of me..." What?
2. "Heck, I'll take half of the credit..." Take full credit.
EDIT: Read this part wrong. I get it now.
3. "blah blah blah grammar and spelling don't matter blah blah it's more than key presses."
First off, say that to an employer once you hand your job application in. "Oh, and sir? Don't think less of me just based on a few key presses."
Now I'll explain why it's important: This roleplay is done only through writing. There is nothing else.
More is needed than just this minimum, obviously. However, you need to have at least this. You are not making a few mistakes here and there, they are littered around. You are failing the MINIMUM. A MINIMUM, and you expect a desert ranger.

I also have yet to pull some vague "But muh desert ranger is a desert ranger!" response. That's just lazy, man. Call me out on it if I do/did.
I was expecting it. That was to avoid a response to what is a shitty excuse.

I'm still waiting for you to justify the bullshittery, by the way. "I wanted to explain his training" I mean what that training was. I'd also like for you to explain to me why I should care about this character at all. There's an old quote I remember from another rp site: "Why should I care about what happens to this character?" Answer that for me.

Response to Noahleahy
Spoiler:

I'm going to set the boot down here.

Alot of you replying to the app are horribly rude, you curse, you throw insults and you're just overall unpleasant.

Dusk has been enduring this for days on end and he's been politely replying to your problems with his app with no curses, no insults, and obviously no anger to any of you.

Please return the favor.

The cursing is for emphasis, the rudeness is brutal honesty mixed with (occasionally) humour, and the insults have not been ad hominem attacks.
FlameCow wrote:
-supprt

The character really does seem too strong, and I've seen the damage an overpowered character can do to a role play server. Sorry but not sorry.
Painful History wrote:
Seriously, you're being stupid by bashing on this application for the reasons you're posting and you're being even worse for cursing, insulting, being rude and overall degrading the effectiveness of your speeches. No one will take you seriously when you're insulting the party you're accusing, even if indirectly or passive-aggressively. "I've seen the harm and overpowered character can do to a server." Yes, so have I but guess who had those over powered characters that ruin servers? Admins, not players. Normally, players actually RP these "OP Characters" a lot less OP than one might think, hell, I've seen several people even taking shit they shouldn't have realistically with that character just because they weren't sure and wanted to be on the safe side.

If you want to insult someone's ability to roleplay a chararcter, get hard facts instead of a subjective view on what's OP and what will kill a server. Dusk is a great roleplayer and I've seen it myself: several times over. If you don't believe it, then take your time to roleplay with him and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Now, onto other things...
"Why should I care about what happens to this character?" Seriously, why are you asking that question? Any answer given to you won't suffice simply because you do not care already. You have yet to RP with the character, you have yet to see the actual character in action, how can you care about something you don't understand or know? All you see in this application is objective, a backstory, items and rp examples, how can you "care" about a character through an application? By making an emotional backstory? Not every person in this world, or Fallout, has a tragic backstory behind them.

When a character's story is comprised mostly of training, what do you want them to type? How they saw rainbows and rain while they were being horrendously mauled by a Yao Guai? Or perhaps you want to lean the character's masturbating habits when he was on break. Seriously, what do you want? Do you want eye candy? Do you want flourishes? do you want a novel on how the character fell in love with the ghoul he killed?

Also, just because the STING can be shrugged off initially, it doesn't mean that the VENOM takes no effect. I hope you know that, even if you're stung by venom several times over, sooner or later, after the sting you'll still feel the effects.

Firstly, Yao Guai's are just bears, people can beat bears with hands, doesn't mean it's smart or safe, but they can. Ghouls are ridiculously easy to kill and Securitrons it's a matter of: Stab their screen, watch them die.

"Then Desert Rangers look like shit." Yeah, good job, generalize a whole group and the people that roleplay as them or have a character like that. I've seen plenty of shit Rangers in my time, I have, but I've seen plenty of excellent ones as well.
The Solitaire wrote:
Darn it I just love Ranger characters, easily my favorites to RP. So rest assured Dusk I will be fair minded.

My first point of criticism, whilst I appreciate your position is your lack of character traits and flaws. Whilst you might /pm them to Snyder it does go without saying that the rest of the forum users whom are casting their votes have aright to see them too. That's just a note.

My first question is: Why wasn't Oscar brought into the NCR following the treaty the NCR made with the Rangers of Nevada before the first battle of Hoover dam? Technically if he didn't follow suit he would be going against NCR law and would likely be seen as an outlaw.

My second question is: can you drop the brush gun? I mean the revolver I can understand and with ammunition being as rare as the guns themselves in the server at this point, I don't see the harm in granting you it, but the brush gun is a bit much.

My third question is: How will your character interact with the server's population? What is your intended approach to most situations? Will you be a community man or a shadowy edge master who lives outside of town?

My fourth question is: Do you understand that the Ranger combat armor provides absolutely no protection to the entirety of the legs and upper arms? People often see this outfit as OP but realistically you can blow the legs of a ranger to ribbons with successive 10mm rounds.

This is where my Dusk orientated questions end and my observations begin.

Observation 1: The server is P2L if Dusk is shot at he must P2L being hit by the bullets, especially at close range. There is no ninjaing here.

Observation 2: I refer those complaining about the armour to my statement I my fourth question.

Observation 3: The petty tone of some of the responses on here are just plain petty and passive aggressive. Cut it out.

My opinion remains neutral until Dusk responds with tangible answers to my questions. Peace.
Painful History wrote:
Note. Upper arms are indeed protected by riot armor, it's merely under the trench coat. Shoulders might or might not be as they are externally in the original variant but not in the Desert Ranger variant.
mLister wrote:
Dog.

Why does the ranger in question even consider going to the location the roleplay takes place in? It's a dump full of people just trying to get by, unremarkable and somewhat degenerate in the current state of things.

Why is the so called badass ranger not doing something else where his qualities would be of more use than in some nowhere place?

Why did he not return to his hometown and do something his father tried and improve on it?

Why don't you just wait for the server to get out of the beta and let people get some sort of self defense going. You never know when some armed ranger guy could go postal and slaughter anyone he sees.

What if someone throws a stick of dynamite in your bed during your sleep and loots what's left of you to terrorize the whole server with the firearms the character posessed?

The advantages of this character application are -Wayyy- one sided, not to mention the fact of asking for gear, and not just one item or two, but half a dozen. This thread having three pages worth of replies is already a sign that people are not going to like this character passing the application.

I'll run through this quote-by-quote.  I was sleeping because it was midnight for me, and I didn't really want to be typing some lackluster responses at 5 AM.
1(NoahLeahy). I'd prefer for a polite, civilized, organized discussion, but trying to enforce that is like punching a bee-hive to make them produce more honey.

2(The Gunrunner). Painful History already explained a response to all of this in full detail, but...  I'm obligated to respond myself.
-Resistance does NOT mean immunity.
-This was a desert ranger trained from adolescence to fulfill his role.  There's very little to do when you're in the pit fighting things all the time.
-Yes, you can judge someone based solely on how they write out backstories rather than how they are...  I'd refer you to Mark Hathins and his lovely tale, but the player is taking a break from steam currently.
-Again, these spelling issues were not mine, yet I will take credit for them because I didn't notice them.  The grammar issues are also from translating present tense actions to past tense and trying to keep the message intended.  I'll go over the backstory to check it out and fix the obvious ones in a little bit.
-I use "Realistically" to mean that I had a guy RPing as every single creature.  It wasn't a matter of "Well, if I do this, then surely the beast will do this" because I had another person acting out that role.
-Yes, because this is very relatable to an application for oh-so many other things...  In any case, it's going to be fixed.
-"Why should I care about what happens to this character?"  Why, it seems like you care very much about what happens to this character.  If anything, I'd boil it down to: it's a dangerous character that no one knows what they will do, not even through metagaming information about the character.

3(Flamecow). Yeah, an overpowered character can do a lot of damage to a role playing server.  We all know this.  Too bad that this isn't as overpowered as it once was or as it could have been.
This character has become easily defeatable, and laughable compared to how he was 6 months ago.

4(Painful History). For responding in my absence: Thank you.

5(The Solitaire). Yeah...  I see the point in posting the traits and flaws, but I've just had bad experiences in the past with doing so.  At this point, I don't think it'd make a difference, but...  I might try it.
-Oscar did not follow the rangers because, being a sheltered recruit under Bill, he flat-out didn't know.  He's an outlaw, but doesn't know it.
-If I have to drop anything, it'd be the Brush Gun, but...  Neither of them even have starting ammo at this point.  That said, yeah, if I have to, that'll be the first to go.
-I'm hoping for more of a community man that just generally helps keep things both civil and fair.  I've been experimenting with the base character traits in the past, and being a socialite lawman has treated me well thus far.
-The armor is mostly to protect organs and vital spots, so yeah, I understand how unprotected my extremities are.

6(Painful History). To be safe, I was gonna go with just torso protection.

7(mLister).
-Because it's remote and a good place to lay low.  Unremarkable, unmarked areas are ones that few people will expect someone like a Desert Ranger to be.
-Because what if there is something his qualities can be used in some nowhere place?  It's just as good of an area as any.
-Bad memories, corpses of friend and foe, the walls were destroyed...and he's just one man.
-Yes, of course, that was secretly my plan all alo- I mean...uh...  This is a semi-pacifistic character.  Not really a guy to just murder everything "because I feel like it" or because "muh PTSD".
-Then they have two clubs and a dead Desert Ranger to deal with.  The firearms have no ammunition, and...dynamite hurts a lot.
-The thread having three pages of replies means that there's still some things to settle and some things to be discussed.

Phew, that was a lot of text.
avatar
Dog
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 359
Join date : 2013-06-15
Location : Gaiar Alata

http://www._.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Painful History on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Alright that fine, just be sure to know that Riot Gear can indeed stop something of the likes of 5.56 milimeter bullets, although the kinetic force may stun you and bruise you. It's stronger than MK II Combat Armor, it's also lighter and more compact and carries materials that disperse heat, offering defense against laser weaponry with low power such as laser pistols and laser RCW(which focuses more on speed than power). It was used by USMC Special Forces during the Resource Wars, so keep that in mind.
avatar
Painful History
Vault Outcast
Vault Outcast

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by The Gunrunner on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:44 pm

---Response to Painful History---
Spoiler:
"Why should I care about what happens to this character?" Seriously, why are you asking that question? Any answer given to you won't suffice simply because you do not care already. You have yet to RP with the character, you have yet to see the actual character in action, how can you care about something you don't understand or know? All you see in this application is objective, a backstory, items and rp examples, how can you "care" about a character through an application? By making an emotional backstory? Not every person in this world, or Fallout, has a tragic backstory behind them.
The point of this was to make Dog show me a selling point of some kind to prove he didn't make him just so he could have a good fighter, and nothing but that.
"You  have yet to rp with this character, you have yet to see this character in action..." I really, really hope you're not saying I can't judge him until he's accepted. There's a reason these apps exist.
"By making an emotional backstory?" No. By making a good one.
"Not every person in this world, or Fallout, has a tragic backstory behind them." I never asked for a tragic backstory... By the way, it's kinda funny you said this... considering that's exactly what he has.

When a character's story is comprised mostly of training, what do you want them to type? How they saw rainbows and rain while they were being horrendously mauled by a Yao Guai? Or perhaps you want to lean the character's masturbating habits when he was on break. Seriously, what do you want? Do you want eye candy? Do you want flourishes? do you want a novel on how the character fell in love with the ghoul he killed?
You know that agreeing with you leads me to think that this approach was a terrible idea, yeah?
But either way, it's hard to believe that there was just nothing else he could put in there. Dog, you really couldn't add more interaction? There was nothing you could put in that would lead to development (I don't mean combat development)? Showing what the training was is a nice idea, but if it meant you needed to do THIS, then I'd say it wasn't worth it.

Also, just because the STING can be shrugged off initially, it doesn't mean that the VENOM takes no effect. I hope you know that, even if you're stung by venom several times over, sooner or later, after the sting you'll still feel the effects.
... "Survival training would also include small injections of various poisons to make his body more resistant to them, so that a radscorpion sting can be shrugged off."
'More resistant'? Fine. Sure. You don't die, but you're stuck in a bed shitting yourself for a while. 'a radscorpion sting can be shrugged off'? You... you know what is happening when a scorpion sting you, yeah? You know that it's shooting out venom, yes? Or are you saying "He meant he can shrug off the stinger being thrust into him." Hah, no, he didn't. 'small injections of various poisons' and ' so that a radscorpion sting can be shrugged off' shows that he was talking about the venom. I don't know.... how... you think otherwise.

Firstly, Yao Guai's are just bears, people can beat bears with hands, doesn't mean it's smart or safe, but they can. Ghouls are ridiculously easy to kill and Securitrons it's a matter of: Stab their screen, watch them die.
First off, I got the robot wrong. I thought it was a securitron, but it was a protectron. Not as bad, so, that one can slide.
As for "they can," that's not a good argument. You CAN kill an entire raider camp with a toenail, you CAN tame a pack of deathclaws, you CAN do a lot of stuff. However, as Nasca said, that doesn't mean you should. Stories of greatness have been allowed, but they're accepted when they're well written, restricted, and singular. This was just one after another and nothing else to offer.

"Then Desert Rangers look like shit." Yeah, good job, generalize a whole group and the people that roleplay as them or have a character like that. I've seen plenty of shit Rangers in my time, I have, but I've seen plenty of excellent ones as well.
Context is a good idea. Fine, though, maybe the wording was poor. I'll explain it then: If he made the argument that this is okay because he's a desert ranger, and that's seen as a valid excuse, then the desert rangers are shitty. I've seen good roleplayers play legion members before, but the faction is still shit. I'm making no claim on all the players, but instead that the faction is (and once again, only if that excuse was valid.)

---Response to Dog---
Spoiler:

-Resistance does NOT mean immunity.
Funnily enough, that is what it means
Immunity
Spoiler:
the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells.

Definition of resistance
Spoiler:
the ability not to be affected by something, especially adversely
Or
lack of sensitivity to a drug, insecticide, etc., especially as a result of continued exposure or genetic change.

So, uh... yeah. Resistance: You're not affected by something.
Immunity: You resist a particular happening (though it specified infections and toxins.) Basically "You are not affected by something," but it's more specific.

-This was a desert ranger trained from adolescence to fulfill his role.  There's very little to do when you're in the pit fighting things all the time.
Once again, that's just telling me this was a terrible approach.

-Yes, you can judge someone based solely on how they write out backstories rather than how they are...
Why do you think applications exist, Dog? Do you think people go "Well, the story's terrible, the gear is excessive, and the guy can't fulfill the minimum. We should accept him anyway."
Apps are there so whomever the site doesn't want to be granted certain positions won't have them. If you fail the application process, then you have failed. That's it. So, yes, you CAN judge someone just on how they write a backstory. In fact, what that backstory is will make suggestions on how you roleplay. Reading this, I get the impression you just want a powerful character.

I'd refer you to Mark Hathins and his lovely tale, but the player is taking a break from steam currently.
"Oh, I COULD refute you, but instead I'm going to hang this suggestive little piece and give no details. Spoooookyyy."
Go ahead, but don't bother if it's nothing more than an appeal to emotion.

-Again, these spelling issues were not mine, yet I will take credit for them because I didn't notice them.  The grammar issues are also from translating present tense actions to past tense and trying to keep the message intended.  I'll go over the backstory to check it out and fix the obvious ones in a little bit.
Thank you.

-I use "Realistically" to mean that I had a guy RPing as every single creature.  It wasn't a matter of "Well, if I do this, then surely the beast will do this" because I had another person acting out that role.
That doesn't make it realistic. That is especially the case if death was never an option. At best, you have a possible scenario where you could have won. Fantastic, but victory is inevitable when death isn't an option.

-"Why should I care about what happens to this character?"  Why, it seems like you care very much about what happens to this character.  If anything, I'd boil it down to: it's a dangerous character that no one knows what they will do, not even through metagaming information about the character.
...
I-...
R-...
The Gunrunner: "The point of this was to make Dog show me a selling point of some kind to prove he didn't make him just so he could have a good fighter, and nothing but that. "
YOU'VE FAILED THE TEST, GOOD SIR! YOU FAILED THE TEST!
That's all you have to present? He's dangerous and we can't meta what he'll do?
Also: Yes, I do care about what happens to this character. However, it was not in the way that I meant with the quote. I care about him in that I do not want him to be accepted in his current state. I do not care about him in that, if he was accepted, he could've been shot dead infront of me and I would likely shrug my shoulders.
avatar
The Gunrunner
Vault Rebel
Vault Rebel

Posts : 17
Join date : 2015-06-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Painful History on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:25 pm

What I meant by the "shrugging" off, was that the venom would take longer to take effect. It'd give him a few seconds in battle that other people wouldn't have and he also wouldn't die for it, but he'd still suffer. That's what I meant by that, worded it wrong, my bad.

Edit: Also, Indulge me. What makes them and the Legion such shitty factions? Is it the Lore? Because I actually doubt it quite a lot. If it's the people that lead said factions on servers then yes, I can see your point, I've only see 2 good legion leaders out of all the 11-12 I've seen and they were essentially best friends. As for Rangers, I have seen 1 good leader out of the 3, but I've seen way more people RP'ing Rangers properly than Legion members.
avatar
Painful History
Vault Outcast
Vault Outcast

Posts : 36
Join date : 2015-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by The Gunrunner on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:37 pm

Ah. I understand.

I doubt that's what was meant, however; ", instead of it healing your body it hurts your body a tiny bit so it can build antibodies to fight against the poison and make you VERY resistant or outright immune to it" and the quote before never mentioned a 'temporary.' At best, either side could be argued. At worst, the wording says he's immune.

I'll pm you my thoughts on the Legion so we don't open up a separate argument here.
avatar
The Gunrunner
Vault Rebel
Vault Rebel

Posts : 17
Join date : 2015-06-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Dog on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:55 pm

The Gunrunner wrote:---Response to Painful History---
Spoiler:

"Why should I care about what happens to this character?" Seriously, why are you asking that question? Any answer given to you won't suffice simply because you do not care already. You have yet to RP with the character, you have yet to see the actual character in action, how can you care about something you don't understand or know? All you see in this application is objective, a backstory, items and rp examples, how can you "care" about a character through an application? By making an emotional backstory? Not every person in this world, or Fallout, has a tragic backstory behind them.
The point of this was to make Dog show me a selling point of some kind to prove he didn't make him just so he could have a good fighter, and nothing but that.
"You  have yet to rp with this character, you have yet to see this character in action..." I really, really hope you're not saying I can't judge him until he's accepted. There's a reason these apps exist.
"By making an emotional backstory?" No. By making a good one.
"Not every person in this world, or Fallout, has a tragic backstory behind them." I never asked for a tragic backstory... By the way, it's kinda funny you said this... considering that's exactly what he has.

When a character's story is comprised mostly of training, what do you want them to type? How they saw rainbows and rain while they were being horrendously mauled by a Yao Guai? Or perhaps you want to lean the character's masturbating habits when he was on break. Seriously, what do you want? Do you want eye candy? Do you want flourishes? do you want a novel on how the character fell in love with the ghoul he killed?
You know that agreeing with you leads me to think that this approach was a terrible idea, yeah?
But either way, it's hard to believe that there was just nothing else he could put in there. Dog, you really couldn't add more interaction? There was nothing you could put in that would lead to development (I don't mean combat development)? Showing what the training was is a nice idea, but if it meant you needed to do THIS, then I'd say it wasn't worth it.

Also, just because the STING can be shrugged off initially, it doesn't mean that the VENOM takes no effect. I hope you know that, even if you're stung by venom several times over, sooner or later, after the sting you'll still feel the effects.
... "Survival training would also include small injections of various poisons to make his body more resistant to them, so that a radscorpion sting can be shrugged off."
'More resistant'? Fine. Sure. You don't die, but you're stuck in a bed shitting yourself for a while. 'a radscorpion sting can be shrugged off'? You... you know what is happening when a scorpion sting you, yeah? You know that it's shooting out venom, yes? Or are you saying "He meant he can shrug off the stinger being thrust into him." Hah, no, he didn't. 'small injections of various poisons' and ' so that a radscorpion sting can be shrugged off' shows that he was talking about the venom. I don't know.... how... you think otherwise.

Firstly, Yao Guai's are just bears, people can beat bears with hands, doesn't mean it's smart or safe, but they can. Ghouls are ridiculously easy to kill and Securitrons it's a matter of: Stab their screen, watch them die.
First off, I got the robot wrong. I thought it was a securitron, but it was a protectron. Not as bad, so, that one can slide.
As for "they can," that's not a good argument. You CAN kill an entire raider camp with a toenail, you CAN tame a pack of deathclaws, you CAN do a lot of stuff. However, as Nasca said, that doesn't mean you should. Stories of greatness have been allowed, but they're accepted when they're well written, restricted, and singular. This was just one after another and nothing else to offer.

"Then Desert Rangers look like shit." Yeah, good job, generalize a whole group and the people that roleplay as them or have a character like that. I've seen plenty of shit Rangers in my time, I have, but I've seen plenty of excellent ones as well.
Context is a good idea. Fine, though, maybe the wording was poor. I'll explain it then: If he made the argument that this is okay because he's a desert ranger, and that's seen as a valid excuse, then the desert rangers are shitty. I've seen good roleplayers play legion members before, but the faction is still shit. I'm making no claim on all the players, but instead that the faction is (and once again, only if that excuse was valid.)

---Response to Dog---
Spoiler:

-Resistance does NOT mean immunity.
Funnily enough, that is what it means
Immunity
Spoiler:
the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells.

Definition of resistance
Spoiler:
the ability not to be affected by something, especially adversely
Or
lack of sensitivity to a drug, insecticide, etc., especially as a result of continued exposure or genetic change.

So, uh... yeah. Resistance: You're not affected by something.
Immunity: You resist a particular happening (though it specified infections and toxins.) Basically "You are not affected by something," but it's more specific.

-This was a desert ranger trained from adolescence to fulfill his role.  There's very little to do when you're in the pit fighting things all the time.
Once again, that's just telling me this was a terrible approach.

-Yes, you can judge someone based solely on how they write out backstories rather than how they are...
Why do you think applications exist, Dog? Do you think people go "Well, the story's terrible, the gear is excessive, and the guy can't fulfill the minimum. We should accept him anyway."
Apps are there so whomever the site doesn't want to be granted certain positions won't have them. If you fail the application process, then you have failed. That's it. So, yes, you CAN judge someone just on how they write a backstory. In fact, what that backstory is will make suggestions on how you roleplay. Reading this, I get the impression you just want a powerful character.

I'd refer you to Mark Hathins and his lovely tale, but the player is taking a break from steam currently.
"Oh, I COULD refute you, but instead I'm going to hang this suggestive little piece and give no details. Spoooookyyy."
Go ahead, but don't bother if it's nothing more than an appeal to emotion.

-Again, these spelling issues were not mine, yet I will take credit for them because I didn't notice them.  The grammar issues are also from translating present tense actions to past tense and trying to keep the message intended.  I'll go over the backstory to check it out and fix the obvious ones in a little bit.
Thank you.

-I use "Realistically" to mean that I had a guy RPing as every single creature.  It wasn't a matter of "Well, if I do this, then surely the beast will do this" because I had another person acting out that role.
That doesn't make it realistic. That is especially the case if death was never an option. At best, you have a possible scenario where you could have won. Fantastic, but victory is inevitable when death isn't an option.

-"Why should I care about what happens to this character?"  Why, it seems like you care very much about what happens to this character.  If anything, I'd boil it down to: it's a dangerous character that no one knows what they will do, not even through metagaming information about the character.
...
I-...
R-...
The Gunrunner: "The point of this was to make Dog show me a selling point of some kind to prove he didn't make him just so he could have a good fighter, and nothing but that. "
YOU'VE FAILED THE TEST, GOOD SIR! YOU FAILED THE TEST!
That's all you have to present? He's dangerous and we can't meta what he'll do?
Also: Yes, I do care about what happens to this character. However, it was not in the way that I meant with the quote. I care about him in that I do not want him to be accepted in his current state. I do not care about him in that, if he was accepted, he could've been shot dead infront of me and I would likely shrug my shoulders.
-Funnily enough, looking up 'resistance definition' comes up with exactly what you said it did...Except that the sentence it's used in provides how it is supposed to be used, which is where it fails to be immunity.
Resistance wrote:
the ability not to be affected by something, especially adversely.
"some of us have a lower resistance to cold than others"
So resistance is a scale of how affected you are by something.
Immunity is at the far end of the spectrum where you are no longer affected by said thing.

-I stand by my approach.

-Sorry for not specifying it clearly enough, but I meant how the backstory is written, not the course it takes, but the literal sentence structure, spelling, and grammar. I didn't want necessarily a POWERFUL character... I just wanted MY character that I applied for.

-Mark Hathins was a beautiful character written up by a guy who, as I said, is taking a break from steam. I'll cut to the chase: It was a balanced, good character that he played as, with a ton of flaws and few benefits, but he couldn't write a backstory for the character. It was a shame, too, because he got a lot of playtime on it just to not be able to play it ever again, unless by staff fiat. If you want to talk to him about it (Whenever he gets back), you can contact him at http://steamcommunity.com/id/IAmAChristianWalrus . Just try not to bug 'em about it too much, please, if you do contact him.

-Fixed the obvious spelling mistakes earlier, but I had a problem with my computer (as I type this, it's coming from an old laptop, rather than my normal PC), so I will get around to fixing the grammar issues, but it'll take a bit longer than expected.

-Death was an option. Failure was an option. Just because I didn't fail doesn't mean that the threat of it flat-out didn't exist. All of the trials in which death was possible didn't have any second goes. It was a one-and-done sort of deal. No "Let's retry that, I died."

-I'm not gonna beat around the bush: That's pretty much what the character itself has to offer. It's a danger— an unidentified, possible threat to the local populace, but that's initial response.
Once the character gets actual development, and feelings mutually between this character and the populace, you'll get a better answer to your question. Past that, there's not much I can offer you. If you want a real response of what he offers, you'll have to see how this plays out, and even then, it's a possibility rather than an assurance.

If I missed any points made, I apologize. Restate them and I'll get back to you on it as quickly as I can.
avatar
Dog
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 359
Join date : 2013-06-15
Location : Gaiar Alata

http://www._.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by FlameCow on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:13 pm

Painful History wrote:Seriously, you're being stupid by bashing on this application for the reasons you're posting and you're being even worse for cursing, insulting, being rude and overall degrading the effectiveness of your speeches. No one will take you seriously when you're insulting the party you're accusing, even if indirectly or passive-aggressively. "I've seen the harm and overpowered character can do to a server." Yes, so have I but guess who had those over powered characters that ruin servers? Admins, not players. Normally, players actually RP these "OP Characters" a lot less OP than one might think, hell, I've seen several people even taking shit they shouldn't have realistically with that character just because they weren't sure and wanted to be on the safe side.

Are those first few sentences directed towards me? Since you quoted something I said in the same paragraph you talked about someone being rude - without naming anybody, it seems like you might have me mistaken for somebody else. When I say an overpowered character can do damage to a server, I'm not talking at all about OP's ability to role play. My judgement comes solely off of the parts of the application where I see a man shooting tons of raiders in the jugular with an assault rifle and wrestling plus defeating a Yao Guai with his bare hands.

I don't think I was rude or insulting anywhere in my only post in this thread. If you think I was being rude by saying "Sorry but not sorry", I was apologizing for not supporting the application but meant that I'm not going to bend my opinion just because he spent a lot of work on it. I'll edit my original post to reflect that.


Last edited by FlameCow on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
FlameCow
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 478
Join date : 2013-07-12
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Dog on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:18 pm

FlameCow wrote:
Painful History wrote:Seriously, you're being stupid by bashing on this application for the reasons you're posting and you're being even worse for cursing, insulting, being rude and overall degrading the effectiveness of your speeches. No one will take you seriously when you're insulting the party you're accusing, even if indirectly or passive-aggressively. "I've seen the harm and overpowered character can do to a server." Yes, so have I but guess who had those over powered characters that ruin servers? Admins, not players. Normally, players actually RP these "OP Characters" a lot less OP than one might think, hell, I've seen several people even taking shit they shouldn't have realistically with that character just because they weren't sure and wanted to be on the safe side.

Are those first few sentences directed towards me? Since you quoted something I said in the same paragraph you talked about someone being rude - without naming anybody, it seems like you might have me mistaken for somebody else. When I say an overpowered character can do damage to a server, I'm not talking at all about OP's ability to role play. My judgement comes solely off of the parts of the application where I see a man shooting tons of raiders in the jugular with an assault rifle and wrestling plus defeating a Yao Guai with his bare hands.

I don't think I was rude or insulting anywhere in my only post in this thread. If you think I was being rude by saying "Sorry but not sorry", I was apologizing for not supporting the application but meant that I'm not going to bend my opinion just because he spent a lot of work on it. I'll edit my original post to reflect that.
This wasn't directed at me, but I'm obligated to clear things up that relate to myself:
-The guy shooting raiders in the juggular was not Oscar.
-It wasn't done with an assault rifle.
-Defeating a Yao Guai that was declawed and deteethed with their bare hands WAS Oscar.
avatar
Dog
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 359
Join date : 2013-06-15
Location : Gaiar Alata

http://www._.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by FlameCow on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 am

Made that post last night at 4 AM. Reread the backstory this morning and didn't understand why I +supported. Lots of effort but not a lot of sense.

-support

Defeated a mutant bear with his bare hands. Defeated six fire geckos with a knife. Defeated a fire gecko by kicking sand in its eyes to stun it. It's just insanity.


Last edited by FlameCow on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
avatar
FlameCow
Wasteland Demi-God
Wasteland Demi-God

Posts : 478
Join date : 2013-07-12
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: Dog's Desert Ranger Application/Transfer/Revival

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum